Meet Dr. Michael Melkers
Exceptionally educated, highly skilled Hanover dentist.
‘‘The best part of being a dentist is helping patients who have lost hope in their dental health, and we help them find it again.”
As a Hanover dentist, Dr. Melkers lives by this philosophy every day, dedicating his career to delivering high-quality dentistry to patients and dentists.
- Dr. Melkers and his wife LOVE to explore New England.
- If you stroll to Dr. Melkers’ home you’ll find 3 cats, a 16×16 foot cat enclosure, and a catnip garden. He jokingly says he’s a crazy cat person.
- Funky socks collector with four drawers full!
- An avid disc golfer – Dr. Melkers has a 10 hole course at home, has played in the amateur world championships, and played on four continents.
- Dr. Melkers LOVES to cook and even has a Facebook food blog on delicious recipes.
What “lesson from mom” do you still live by? “My mother told me ‘you should always have more great meals in life than you have friends, but you must have a collection of truly great friends to make those meals great.'”
If you were ice cream, what flavor would you be? “I would say a sorbet from Ben & Jerry’s named after some Jimmy Buffet song. I don’t even know what that means but it feels right!”
Dentistry Runs In The Melkers Family
- Dad was a dentist
- Mother was a dental hygienist
- Uncle was an orthodontist
- Aunt was a laboratory technician
- His sister Julia escaped the dental gene, but she is a Ph.D. Professor at Georgia Tech
Before becoming a dentist in Hanover, Dr. Melkers and his family lived in Washington state. Because of their love for the New England area, Dr. Melkers and his wife decided to upend their life and moved to Hanover and joined Lyme Road Dental. Why? Because of the people who work there and the patients they serve. “I have never seen anything like it. I was drawn to becoming a part of a team that was so committed to each other and their patients’ well-being.”
As Dr. Melkers said, “My Dad has always been my hero. He did not teach me how to treat teeth. He taught me how to treat people. That is the difference that made all of the difference.” At Lyme Road Dental, you’ll find a sign from his father’s very first practice in 1973 right above Dr. Melkers’ door to his private office.
‘‘Your creative solution has made it possible for me to continue to relish my favorite salami on a baguette.’’
- Actual Patient at Lyme Road Dental